Tuesday 20 September 2016

Article: Effect on the mind when you want a job for the first time.



-“It’s a first time in the new country when everything was new, people, roads, buildings, locality, buses, home. Everything felt unknown including culture, ethnicity, laws. It felt everything was lost. My home was no longer my home. All childhood friends, community and atmosphere were left thousands of miles behind. I need to start from scratch to have my own identity in this new country.”, written by a new immigrant Mr. Kunal Dhaliwal.

When I came to a land of opportunities, I was thrilled to get going with what life has to offer in this beautiful country, Canada. I was telling everybody at home, laws are better and place is beautiful. I told my friends back home, it feels like heaven here. But one thing I couldn’t say to my friends back home that possibility of getting a white collar job is tough. The sad part is immigrants come here and find a labor job that’s easy to find for survival and stay at that job. My challenge during my days was to work in a labor job and how can I get a white collar job. Many times I heard, a well qualified doctor is driving a taxi. If you were a doctor back home, why you would work as a car driver? It doesn’t make sense. You are equally qualified as other doctors, but still you are starting from a scratch.

“I started from scratch when I arrived here from Kenya. I was the Electrical Engineer. I earn good money working as Security Guard in Best Buy headquarters but I wasn’t satisfied with the job. I worked for my family survival but during the weekend I took part time courses. In just less than 2 years, I was working as an Electrical Engineer for the City of Vancouver. “, says Raj Mahto.


I met Raj Mahto when I was working with him. He inspired me with the type of attitude he had. One after another, I met several individuals like Raj. I did the same. I worked part time in the labor market and went to school to upgrade my education. I don’t work in a labor market anymore. I am currently working in an engineering firm as an engineer. I can tell you one thing, with a right attitude you can get anything that you want. If people life Raj Mahto, me and several others have created a job they want, why not you?

No comments:

Post a Comment